James Pratt is an experienced trial lawyer with 40-plus years in the courtroom, both in state and federal jurisdictions, litigating complex civil cases. He has been recognized by the top national and international societies and academies for his courtroom work. Mr. Pratt is also an experienced mediator serving at the request of both lawyers and judges in his home state and a variety of out-of-state jurisdictions. He has been called on to mediate cases on a number of occasions where other mediators tried but could not get the matter resolved, and he did so with success. These cases have involved eight and nine-figure disputes between domestic parties, as well as international entities. Mr. Pratt also serves as a consultant to various entities addressing governmental affairs, crisis management, and strategic planning. The CV on this website gives more detail about each of these areas of expertise.
- Business Dissolution
- Class Actions
- Contract Disputes
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Nursing Homes
- Personal Injury
- Product Liability
- Property Damage
- Trusts / Estates
- Wrongful Death
- Attended Auburn University on a full athletic scholarship (1968-1972)
- B.A. (English Literature) 1972 - Auburn University, Auburn, Alabama
- J.D. 1978, Cumberland School of Law - Samford University, Birmingham, Alabama (Admission to Alabama State Bar - 1978)
- Completed the master’s course in negotiation which is the premiere course in the program on negotiation offered by Harvard School of Law (2020)
Memberships & Affiliations
- President of the Alabama State Bar (2011-2012).
- President of the Alabama Association for Justice (1997-1998).
- Member, Inner Circle of Advocates (limited to 100 members nationwide).
- Fellow, International Society of Barristers and International Academy of Trial Lawyers.
- Past member of the American Board of Trial Advocates.
- Senior Counsel, The College of Master Advocates and Barristers.
- Fellow, Alabama Bar Foundation.
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation.
- Member of the Birmingham Bar Association.
- Member of American Law Institute and Alabama Law Institute.
- Past member of the Association for Advancement of Automotive Medicine.
- AV rating by Martindale Hubbell and selected for inclusion in “Best Lawyers of America” since 1991.
- Designated by Super Lawyers as one of the top lawyers in Alabama and the Southeast.
- Designated by the national publication Law Dragon as one of the 500 leading and most influential lawyers in America.
- Member of the Bar of the United States Supreme Court; United States Courts of Appeal for the Fifth and Eleventh Circuits; and all the United States District Courts in the State of Alabama.
Please call for details