Academy Member Inducted 2017Map & Directions
John Bulman has more than 30 years of experience in construction and commercial trial matters in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and other states. He has served as counsel in trials, mediations and arbitrations in Massachusetts, Florida, Rhode Island, New York, New Hampshire, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Vermont, Ohio, and other states. John has argued cases before the Rhode Island Supreme Court and the First and Eleventh Circuit Courts of Appeal.
John has represented numerous public (including state and municipal) and private owners in the development and negotiation of construction contracts for large industrial and commercial projects.
As a mediator, John has successfully mediated over 300 cases on a variety of subjects including contract interference, construction, personal injury, discrimination, partnership, franchise disputes and municipal tax assessments. As an arbitrator, John has presided over cases with claims as large as $200,000,000.
John's trial and arbitration experience includes both jury and jury-waived matters relating to construction claims, declaratory actions, refinery fire, usury claim, land access claims, non-competition, trade secret, insurance coverage disputes, CERCLA matters, contract indemnity claims, personal injury defense, franchise termination, partnership fraud and other matters. In the construction industry, John has arbitrated and tried cases involving design build issues, differing site condition claims, Eichleay and measured mile claims, specific performance, change order disputes, indemnity claims, disruption claims and surety takeover issues.
- Community Associations
- Contract Disputes
- Family Businesses
- Legal Malpractice
- Professional Fees
- Professional Liability
- Professional Negligence
- Property Damage
- Real Estate
- Title Disputes
- Trusts / Estates
- Unfair Competition
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., cum laude; Editor, Law and Policy in International Business, (1984)
- Hobart College, B.A., Baccalaureate Essay Distinction, (1980)
Memberships & Affiliations
- Chambers USA - Recognized in General Commercial Litigation, 2006-present
- American Arbitration Association - National Board of Directors 2002-2014; Outstanding Director Award 2007; Member, Executive Committee to Board of Directors 2010-2014; Chair, Practice Committee 2010-2014; Member, Budget and Finance Committee 2014-2020; Master Mediator Panel; Mega Construction Project Claims Panel; National Commercial and Construction Arbitration Panels; Large Complex Case Panel
- American College of Construction Lawyers - Elected Fellow 2006; Board of Governors 2013-2016; Secretary 2019-2020; President-elect 2021-2022; President 2022-2023
- Fellow, College of Commercial Arbitrators
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb)
- American Bar Association - Litigation Section, Construction Subcommittee Member, Forum on Construction Law
- International Mediation Institute - Certified Mediator 2010
- National Construction Dispute Resolution Committee - Chair, Rules Subcommittee; Member, Executive Committee
- IBA-VIAC CDRC Vienna Mediation & Negotiation Competition Expert Assessor 2016-2019
- ADR Panel of the U.S. District Court for the District of Rhode Island 2017