Academy MemberMap & Directions
- Practice Commenced: 2004
- Total Mediations (as of Apr 2020): 500
- Total Arbitrations (as of Apr 2020): 2
Join John for valuable training on how to mediate using Zoom:
"How to Mediate with ZOOM"
Webinar April 7, 1-3pm
* Learn which Zoom settings are important and why.
* Learn about other applications you will need such as DocuSign, DropBox, etc.
* Receive materials such as sample engagement letters, online mediation protocols and confidentiality agreements.
--Nuclear Regulatory Commission--Better Business Bureau--District of Columbia Court of Appeals--Maryland Circuit Courts--Anne Arundel County Circuit Court--Allegany County Circuit Court--Baltimore City Circuit Court--Baltimore County Circuit Court--Charles County Circuit Court--Frederick County Circuit Court--Howard County Circuit Court--Montgomery County Circuit Court--Talbot County Circuit Court--Queen Anne's County Circuit Court--National Security Agency (2005-2013)
Senior Counsel, Office of General Counsel, National Security Agency, 2012-13 (retired)
John's wealth of experience in the alternative dispute resolution area significantly enhanced NSA's efforts. While Senior Counsel, he organized and hosted a week-long series of employee workshops led by conflict resolution specialists to mark NSA's 2012 celebration of Conflict Resolution Week. In addition, his review of NSA alternative dispute resolution programs resulted in many improvements that greatly benefited the Agency and its employees.
Associate General Counsel (Cybersecurity/Information Assurance), Office of General Counsel, National Security Agency, 2008-12
John's considerable legal skills, depth of experience, sound judgment, and vision for the future played a major role in helping NSA organizations adapt to a rapidly changing operational environment. For example, he worked with legal experts throughout the Government and in industry to address the issues presented by the Deputy Secretary of Defense's desire to provide better cybersecurity protection for the Defense Industrial Base sector of the national critical infrastructure. The model he helped to develop was extended to other critical infrastructure sectors in an executive order issued by the President in 2013 and announced in his State of the Union Address. In addition, working with the Department of Homeland Security and the FBI, John helped NSA navigate the difficult legal waters surrounding Government engagement with private entities regarding major cybersecurity intrusions into the U.S. economy.
Associate General Counsel (Legislation), Office of General Counsel, National Security Agency, 1999-2008
John was responsible for developing and implementing NSA's legislative strategy with respect to legislation needed from or pending with Congress. He also guided NSA and other Administration officials through sensitive dealings with Congress, such as hearings and briefings on critical and current topics. As a result of his extensive legislative experience, he is recognized as an expert on negotiation skills. Prior to becoming Legislative Counsel, John served as a legislative attorney at NSA from 1996-99 and at another Intelligence Community agency from 1994-96.
Litigation Attorney, Intelligence Community, 1990-94
John handled a full range of civil and criminal litigation matters affecting the Intelligence Community.
Associate Attorney, Baltimore, MD, 1987-90
John specialized in corporate law and estates and trusts.
- Arts (Fine/Performing)
- Banking & Finance
- Business Dissolution
- Civil Rights
- Community Associations
- Consumer Fraud
- Contract Disputes
- Cross Cultural
- Debt Collections
- Elder Abuse
- Entertainment Sector
- Family Businesses
- Land Use/Planning
- Libel & Slander
- Local Govt./Municipalities
- Media & Communications
- Non-profit Organizations
- Nursing Homes
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Product Liability
- Professional Fees
- Professional Liability
- Professional Negligence
- Property Damage
- Public Policy
- Railroad & Trucking
- Real Estate
- Religious Institutions
- Sexual Harassment
- Title Disputes
- Trusts / Estates
- Wage & Hour/FMLA
- Workers' Compensation
- Wrongful Death
- J.D., University of Maryland School of Law, with honors, 1987
- M.A., Cornell University, Jacob and Louise Ihlder Teaching Fellowship, 1979
- B.A., Colgate University, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, Charles A. Dana Scholar, 1977
Center for Creative Leadership, Baltimore, MD
“Intermediate Conflict Management,” 2012
-- “Advanced Conflict Management,” 2012
Harvard Law School, Program on Negotiation, Cambridge, MA
-- “Advanced Negotiation: Difficult Conversations,” 2006
-- “Negotiation Workshop: Ways to Organize and Use the Basic Elements of Negotiation,” 2002
Memberships & Affiliations
- Member, ADR Section Council, Maryland State Bar Association ADR Section
- Member, Maryland Program for Mediator Excellence
- Current Member and Past At-Large Director, Board of Directors, Maryland Council for Dispute Resolution
- Member, American Bar Association, ADR Section
- Governor of Maryland’s Volunteer Service Certificate, 2013
- National Security Agency Director’s Distinguished Service Medal, 2013
- Presidential Rank Award for Meritorious Senior Career Employee, 2010
- Admitted, Maryland and District of Columbia Bars
PLEASE CALL FOR DETAILS.