Sam Q. Carlisle II
PO Box 1209
Pinehurst, NC, 28370
Cell: (910) 639-1628
Fax: (866) 871-9766 scheduling, (910) 295-3792 direct
- Practice Commenced: 2000
- Total Mediations (as of Oct 2020): 2000
Sam practiced for 25 years in Rocky Mount, N.C., primarily in auto negligence cases (plaintiff and defense). Since 2000 and his moving to Pinehurst, N.C., his practice has been limited to ADR with over 2,000 mediations and arbitrations conducted including: U.S. District Court, North Carolina District and Superior Courts, North Carolina Court of Appeals, North Carolina Industrial Commission, and North Carolina Office of Administrative Hearings. His cases have primarily involved automobile and medical negligence, worker's comp and condemnation litigation, but have also included business, contract, land use and zoning disputes.
He serves regularly on arbitration panels, mostly in UM/UIM auto insurance cases. He has served as the presiding "neutral" on over 200 panels. He limits his arbitration participation to service as the "neutral", or on panels that are selected as a group. He does accept appointment as a sole arbitrator.
Training Assistant, Beason & Ellis Conflict Resolution, LLC, Superior Court Mediation Certification Training, November 2004 and January 2005.
Seminar presenter: "Alternative Dispute Resolution 2002", North Carolina Academy of Trial Lawyers, March 22, 2002; "Nuts and Bolts of Civil Litigation", North Carolina Bar Association, June 8, 2007; "Tips from the Trenches", N.C. Association of Defense Attorneys and N.C. Advocates for Justice, jointly, May 8, 2009; "Got Resolution", NC Bar Association Dispute Resolution Section, November 15, 2012.
Sam was the founding chairman of the NC Bar Association Health Benefit Trust that manages the health benefit plan for over 7,500 NCBA members, staff and families. He has also served on the Personnel and Group Insurance Committees of the NCBA.
- Contract Disputes
- Eminent Domain
- Medical Malpractice
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Professional Negligence
- Workers' Compensation
- Wrongful Death
- UNC-Chapel Hill, BA, double major in Economics and Political Science, 1970
- Wake Forest University School of Law, JD, 1974
- Advanced Course In Trial Advocacy, National College of Advocacy, Yale University, 1984
- Duke University Private Adjudication Center, Superior Court Mediation Course, 1999
Memberships & Affiliations
- North Carolina State Bar
- NC Academy of Superior Court Mediators
- National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals
- North Carolina Bar Association: Litigation, Workers Compensation and Dispute Resolution Section member
- UNC-Chapel Hill, Omicron Delta Epsilon, National Honorary Society in Economics
- Pamlico-Tar River Foundation: Dick Leach Award, Volunteer of the Year
- Wake Forest University: Law Alumni Council
- North Carolina Bar Association Health Benefit Trust.
- Edgecombe-Nash Mental Health Center: member, board of directors
- Tar River Kiwanis Club, Rocky Mount, NC: charter member and member, board of directors
$200.00 administrative fee; $200.00 per hour; one-hour minimum for mediation, two-hour minimum for arbitration; negotiable rates as sole arbitrator; no charges for travel except to far southeastern, western, and northeastern North Carolina were charges are negotialble.