Academy MemberMap & Directions
Regularly travels out of state to: Florida, Georgia, Mississippi
- Practice Commenced: 1992
- Total Mediations (as of Jul 2019): 200
- Total Arbitrations (as of Jul 2019): 150
Bill obtained his undergraduate degree and his law degrees from the University of Alabama (J.D., 1967), where he served as an editor on the Alabama Law Review and graduated Farrah Order of Jurisprudence/Order of the Coif.
After law school he served two years in the U.S. Army, Military Intelligence, becoming company commander of over five hundred men. He was awarded the Army Commendation Medal (1969).
Bill began his legal career in late 1969 with the Montgomery firm of Capell & Howard, P.C. He served the firm as Managing Partner for fifteen years until 2010. Bill has retired from his law firm which continutes to provide an office for him to serve as a neutral mediator or arbitrator - primarily for construction industry related disputes.
Bill was a pioneer in alternative dispute resolution in Alabama. He was trained as a mediator for legal disputes at the Harvard Law School's program and the American Arbitration Association's program. He introduced the mediation concept to many Alabama lawyers through his article "The Mediation Alternative: Participating in a Problem Solving Process" in The Alabama Lawyer (1995).
Bill has served as a neutral in mediation and arbitration, as well as instructor in numerous ADR programs, for over twenty-five years. Bill served as the first chair of the state bar's Committee on Alternative Methods of Dispute Resolution (1994-96). He was instrumental in the formation of the Alabama Supreme Court Commission on Dispute Resolution in 1994, served a two-year term as its chariman (1996-98), and has continued an active membership of the commission.
He is recognized as an accomplished mediator of a variety of disputes, including tort and commercial, with particular expertise involving construction industry disputes. He has served as mediator of hundreds of mediations (most in Alabama with some in Georgia, Florida and Mississippi) including numerous multi-party mediations - some with over thirty parties. Bill has been involved in over 200 arbitrations as an advocate or arbitrator in several states.
- Class Actions
- Consumer Fraud
- Contract Disputes
- Eminent Domain
- Libel & Slander
- Local Govt./Municipalities
- Non-profit Organizations
- Personal Injury
- Professional Liability
- Professional Negligence
- Real Estate
- Title Disputes
- Wrongful Death
- J.D., University of Alabama, 1967
- B.A., University of Alabama, 1966
Memberships & Affiliations
- Fellow, American College of Construction Lawyers
- Life Fellow, Alabama Law Foundation
- Listed, "Best Lawyers in America" (Alternative Dispute Resolution, Construction Law, Commercial Litigation, Bet-the-Company Litigation)
- Listed, "Alabama Super Lawyers" (Alternative Dispute Resolution)
- Author, "The Mediation Alternative: Participating in a Problem-Solving Process", The Alabama Lawyer, 1995.
- Author, "The Arbitration Alternative: Some Common Issues", The Alabama Lawyer, 2009
- Alabama Supreme Court Commission on Dispute Resolution (1994 - present; Chairman, 1996 - 98)
- National Panel of Arbitrators, American Arbitration Association
- Panel of Distinguished Neutrals, CPR Institute for Dispute Resolution
- National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals
- Alabama Center for Dispute Resolution, Inc. (President, 1994 - current)
- Alabama Academy of Attorney Mediators
- Committee on Alternative Methods of Dispute Resolution of the Alabama State Bar (1994 - 2010; Chairman, 1994 - 96)
- Dispute Resolution Section, Alabama State Bar ( 2010- 2013; Chairman, Arbitration Commitrtee)
- American Bar Association (Forum Committee on the Construction Industry, Public Contracts Section, Tort and Insurance Section, Alternative Dispute Resolution Section)
- Associate Member, Associated General Contractors, Alabama Branch
- Associate Member, Associated Builders and Contractors, Alabama Branch
- Board of Directors, Leadership Alabama (Chair, 2010-2011)
- Board of Directors, Business Committee for the Arts (Chair, 2011-2012)
- Board of Control, Committee of 100, Montgomery Area Chamber of Commerce (Chair, 2007-2009)
Hourly rate $350.