Academy Member Inducted 2023
Hon. Alan M. Malott (Ret.)
PO Box 7249
Albuquerque, NM 87194
- Practice Commenced: 5
- Total Mediations (as of Jan 2023): 600
- Total Arbitrations (as of Jan 2023): 25
Admitted to the Bar in 1979, I was a practicing trial lawyer- including certification by NBTA - for 30 years before joining the Civil division of the 2nd Judicial District Court in 2009. As a member of this Court of general jurisdiction, I presided over some 1400 active civil cases at a time in matters ranging from administrative appeals to guardianships, to commercial litigation, employment disputes and personal injury litigation. Working an integrated docket, I determined all phases of assigned cases from early Motion practice to trial and post trial issues. I conducted dozens of Jury trials and hundreds of bench trials. For several years, I handled all discovery and motion practice matters in dozens of cases brought against the Catholic church alleging sexual abuse by clergy members. I was later appointed Mediator by the US Bankruptcy Court in the Church's bankrtuptcy case involving some 400 abuse claimants, and was instrumental in the parties' reaching the $121.5 Miliion final settlement.
I was awarded “ Judge of the Year “ ( 2013 ) by the Albuquerque Bar Association and received consistently high performance ratings from the Judicial Performance Evaluation Commission during my tenure with the Court.
Since leaving the Bench in November, 2018, I have provided Alternative Dispute Resolution services throughout New Mexico, conducting about a dozen Mediation Conferences monthly in all subject areas with an approximately 80 % success rate. I am very gratified that my ADR practice has many repeat clientele from across the Bar. References are available on request.
- ADA Disability
- Business Dissolution
- Civil Rights
- Consumer Fraud
- Contract Disputes
- Debt Collections
- Elder Abuse
- Family Businesses
- Intellectual Property
- Legal Malpractice
- Lemon Law
- Libel & Slander
- Medical Malpractice
- Mortgage Foreclosure
- Non-profit Organizations
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Product Liability
- Professional Fees
- Professional Liability
- Professional Malpractice
- Professional Negligence
- Property Damage
- Real Estate
- Religious Institutions
- Sexual Harassment
- Title Disputes
- Trusts / Estates
- Unfair Competition
- Wage & Hour/FMLA
- Wrongful Death
- Arizona State University Tempe, Arizona
- B.S. Crim. Justice conferred December 1975
- Loyola University School of Law Los Angeles, CA
- July, 1977 – July, 1978
- University of New Mexico Albuquerque, NM School of Law
- J.D. conferred May, 1979
Memberships & Affiliations
- AV Rated Martindale-Hubbell 1989 – Pres.
- Member- State Bar Task Force on Advertising 1989-90
- Member- NM Dept. of Labor Worker’s Compensation Admin.
- 1986-1989. Accomplished the transition from judicial to administrative determination of workers compensation claims.
- Member NM Trial Lawyers Assn. Bd Of Directors (1987–2009) and Secretary (2008)
- Member - State Bar of NM Fee Arbitration Committee (1988-2009)
- Instructor - Central NM Community College ( 1992 – 2006 )
- Certified Civil Trial Specialist – National Bd. Of Trial Advocacy 1992 – 2009
- General Counsel NM Chiropractic Assn. ( 1982-1990 )
- Member- NM Supreme Court Committee on Professional Responsibility (2003– 2005 )
- Member- NM Board of Chiropractic Examiners 2005-2009
- Frequent lecturer for State Bar of NM, NM Trial Lawyers Assn.
- Member 2nd Judicial District Court Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee (2005 -2009 )
- Member - NM State Bar Bd. Of Bar Commissioners ( 2008-2009 )
- Featured weekly columnist – “ Judge For Yourself “ in the Albuquerque Journal ( 2009 – 2015 )
Please call for details.