- Practice Commenced: 2013
- Total Mediations (as of Oct 2021): 550
Andy Klein served with distinction on the Maricopa County Superior Court for 19 years, the last seven as Presiding Judge of the Probate and Mental Health Departments, where his Judicial Performance Review ratings were consistenly among the highest on the Bench. Mr. Klein has also completed assignments in civil, family, criminal, and juvenile court so he is knowledgeable in those practices areas as well. He retired from the Bench in 2020 and has been actively involved in private mediation since then.
Mr. Klein has received multiple state and national awards for his unique approach to settling cases. In 2015, he received the William W. Treat Award from the National College of Probate Judges. Former U.S. Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O’Connor is a previous recipient of this prestigious national award. In 2016, he received the James A. Walsh Outstanding Jurist Award from the State Bar of Arizona. In 2019, he received the Eleanor Ter Horst Distinguished Service Award from the State Bar of Arizona, Probate and Trust Law Section.
For seven years, Mr. Klein was the designated settlement conference judge for the entire Probate Department in Maricopa County, and he handled settlement conferences in out-of-county cases too. In that role, he conducted approximately 500 settlement conferences with a complete success rate of 95%. While on the Bench, he also presided over hundreds of trials, including some high-profile cases. Since leaving the Bench and conducting private mediations, Mr. Klein’s success rate is even higher.
Mr. Klein has been an Adjunct Professor of Law at Arizona State University College of Law and is a regular presenter at conferences on the subject of alternative dispute resolution. Before becoming a Judge, Mr. Klein was in the private practice of law for 24 years specializing in civil and commercial litigation where he earned an “AV” Martindale-Hubbell Superior rating.
- Elder Abuse
- Personal Injury
- Trusts / Estates
- Wrongful Death
Mr. Klein graduated with honors from the University of California, Berkeley School of Journalism and from Indiana University, Bloomington School of Law.
Memberships & Affiliations
- Maricopa County Superior Court Executive Committee
- Arizona Judges Association Executive Committee
- Member of Task Force to revise Arizona Rules of Probate Procedure
- Maricopa County Judicial Strategic Planning Committee
- Statewide Committee on Superior Courts
- Statewide Committee on Case Processing Time Standards
- Maricopa County Superior Court Committee to select Court Commissioners
- Maricopa County Superior Court Committee to select Judge pro tem
- Board of Directors at Temple Beth Israel, Scottsdale
- President of Temple Beth Israel, Scottsdale
- State Bar of Arizona
- Admitted to practice in all Arizona State and Federal Courts, and the U.S. Supreme Court
$500.00 per hr. Prep time is billed in addition to time spent in mediation. No cancellation fee unless prep time has been started.