Academy Member Inducted 2005Map & Directions
Drew Clayton is in the process of transitioning to full-time mediation as of January 1, 2022.
For 35 years, Drew Clayton’s legal practice focused on securities arbitration and business litigation. He worked in the securities industry in mutual fund marketing and as a registered representative in New York and New Jersey for five years before he became an attorney. Drew held a number of securities and insurance licenses as a result of that work. He was also the vice president of operations for a New York based company that drilled oil and gas wells for investment partnerships in various states throughout the United States in the mid-1980s.
Drew has been involved in hundreds of securities-related disputes during his career, and has not only represented customers in cases against financial advisors and brokerage firms, but investors in closely-held businesses, securities industry employees in disputes with their former employers, and in regulatory proceedings initiated by state and federal regulators as well as the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority.
Prior to joining Icard Merrill in 2016, Drew was the founder and owner of The Clayton Law Firm, P.A. in Sarasota, Florida for 20 years. Before that, he worked for highly-regarded law firms in Florida and New Jersey. Throughout his many years of practice, he has been engaged in securities and business-related litigation and arbitration.
During law school, Drew was vice president in charge of operations for an oil and gas operating company, managing 57 oil and gas wells throughout the United States from 1985 to 1987. He was also a registered representative with L.F. Rothschild, Unterberg Towbin (1983-1984), and Smith Barney, Harris Upham & Co. (1984-1985). Prior to that, Drew was in mutual fund marketing with Oppenheimer Management Co. in New York from 1982-1983.
He has been retained as an expert witness regarding attorney's fee issues for plaintiffs and defendants in securities disputes. Appointed by the court to act as a receiver in complex trust litigation. He has represented a bankruptcy trustee in complex corporate liquidation proceedings and related litigation. He acted as a guest speaker and panel member in annual meetings of the Public Investors Arbitration Bar Association.
- Banking & Finance
- Contract Disputes
- Debt Collections
- Libel & Slander
- Professional Fees
- Professional Negligence
- Real Estate
- Trusts / Estates
J.D. Seton Hall University School of Law, Newark, N.J., 1987
B.A. Seton Hall University, 1982, South Orange, N.J.
Washington and Lee University, 1978-1980, Lexington, Va.
Memberships & Affiliations
- New Jersey, 1987
- New York, 1987
- Florida, 1988
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, 1988
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit, 1988
- U.S. Court of Military Appeals, 1989
- U.S. District Court, District of Florida, 1992
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit, 1992
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit, 2014
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell®
- Florida Super Lawyers, 2012-2017, 2019-2022
- Legal Elite, Florida Trend Magazine, 2013-2014
- Professionalism Award, Judge John M. Scheb American Inn of Court, 2012
- Florida Supreme Court Certified Circuit Civil Mediator, 2001-present
PROFESSIONAL & COMMUNITY AFFILIATIONS
- President, Judge John M. Scheb American Inn of Court, 2010-2011
- Member, Judge John M. Scheb American Inn of Court, 1993-2013
- Sarasota County Bar Association
- President, 2019 - 2020
- President-Elect, 2019
- Director, 2013-2017
- Public Investors Bar Association, 1992-present
- Major, United States Army Reserve, Judge Advocate General’s Corps, 1989-2003
- President, The Players Theater, Sarasota 1998-2003
- Founding Scoutmaster, Troop 895, Sarasota, FL 1995-1998
- Member, Sarasota County Human Services Advisory Council, 2003-2007
- Chairman, Sarasota Transitional Housing Committee, 2008-2010
- Supervisor, University Place Community Development District, 2008-2011
- Treasurer, Sarasota Westwind Flyers, Inc. flying club, 2015 – present
- President, Sherwood Forest Homeowners Association, 2016 – present
Please call for details.