- Practice Commenced: 2017
- Total Mediations (as of Jan 2022): 300
- My 37+ years of experience as a coverage and trial attorney in private practice allow me to quickly understand and simplify the challenges of complex litigation.
- I know litigation and insurance policies, and understand the insurance industry.
- My mediation approach adapts to the needs of each matter. I am a fan of pre-mediation conference calls, factual clarity, practicality and openness to creative solutions.
- I have mediated thousands of matters in one capacity or another, and have extensive experience in conducting online mediations - @200+ online sessions since March 2020.
- CIPP/US certified and ready to help resolve your data breach/ransomware subrogation, cyber + "silent cyber", CCPA, and privacy lawsuits.
- Able to mediate or arbitrate your Covid-19 lawsuits, including insurance disputes.
- Connect with me on LinkedIn at www.linkedin.com/in/jean-lawler and follow my YouTube channel ROADS TO Resolution
Based in Los Angeles, CA, I am an attorney, mediator and arbitrator. I mediate a wide variety of insurance, business, and tort matters at pre-suit, trial and appellate levels, as well as federal ADA accessibility lawsuits re architectural barriers and websites. CIPP/US certified, I also mediate matters involving data breaches, ransomware and cyber losses. I arbitrate insurance and business disputes and am on the AAA Commercial Arbitration and Mediation panels.
Prior to becoming a full-time mediator in 2017, I was a Senior Partner in a Los Angeles based litigation firm, representing corporations, professionals, non-profits, individuals, and insurers in a broad range of matters, at trial, in arbitration and on appeal - mediating hundreds upon hundreds of cases over the years. My legal experience has been diverse and international and I have a deep knowledge of the insurance industry, insurance policies and the various risks they insure against (primary, excess, reinsurance, program, surplus lines, London Market, and international insurers). I also served as firmwide Managing Partner of my former law firm (being intimately involved with decision making re financial, contract, employment and real estate matters), and at times chaired the firm’s Insurance Law, Cyber & Privacy Law, International Law, and Business & Real Estate Transactions practice groups and, ultimately, serving my many clients as counselor and trusted advisor.
I absolutely love what I do and would be honored to serve as your Mediator or to Arbitrate your dispute!
- Mediator, Lawler ADR Services, LLC, Los Angeles (January 2017- present)
- Senior Partner, Murchison & Cumming, LLP, Los Angeles (October 1985-December 2016); Firm-wide Managing Partner (January 2008 -December 2013) and Executive Committee Member; Chaired firm’s Insurance Law, Cyber & Privacy Law, International Law, and Business & Real Estate Transactions practice groups at various times.
- Private Practice, California + Oregon (1979-1985)
- Women Leaders in the Law - 2021
- Rated AV-Preeminent by Martindale - 1997 - present
- Martindale’s Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers
- Southern CA Super Lawyer - 2006 - present (Insurance Coverage - 2006-17; ADR - 2018-present)
- Southern California Top Women Lawyers, since inception in 2011 (in 2016, one of 20 for Insurance Coverage)
- Co-Moderator for "Will Work for Food: The New Possibilities Hour", held each Thursday at 8AM Pacific time. See www.willworkforfood.news for more information.
Ms. Lawler is honored to be a Past President of the FDCC and the Insuralex Global Insurance Lawyers Group (Chambers-Band 1) and to be a Fellow and Founding Regent of the American College of Coverage Counsel. As President of the FDCC, she co-founded the inaugural “National Summit on the Right to Trial by Jury” which was jointly sponsored by FDCC and ABOTA in 2005 and continues today by ABOTA as its 7th Amendment Summit. Active in a number of professional associations, Ms. Lawler presently serves on the Board of Directors of the Association of Attorney-Mediators. Over the course of her career, she has also served on the Board of Directors of Lawyers for Civil Justice, DRI (Defense Research Institute) and the ASCDC (Association of Southern CA Defense Counsel).
For more information, please see www.lawleradr.com
- ADA Disability
- Class Actions
- Consumer Fraud
- Contract Disputes
- Entertainment Sector
- Intellectual Property
- Legal Malpractice
- Local Govt./Municipalities
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Product Liability
- Professional Liability
- Property Damage
- Real Estate
- Sexual Harassment
- Unfair Competition
- Wage & Hour/FMLA
- Wrongful Death
- JD, Loyola Law School, Los Angeles (Jessup International Honors Moot Court Team and Board; Internship with United States Attorney’s Office, Los Angeles)
- BBA - Finance, Loyola Marymount University, Los Angeles
- Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution, Pepperdine University Law School, "Mediating the Litigated Case" Mediation Training (42 hours), 2007
- Advanced Mediation Training, Edwards Mediation Academy (40 hours), 2017
- Advanced Mediation Training - U.S. District Court, Central District of California and Association of Attorney-Mediators - 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021
- Online Dispute Resolution Training, Susan Guthrie, Learn to Mediate Online, 2019
- CIPP/US Designation - Certified Information Privacy Professional (IAPP), 2020
- MC3-Certified Mediator - Mediation Certification Consortium of California
Memberships & Affiliations
- National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals
- American College of Coverage Counsel, Fellow and Founding Regent; Member, ADR and Cyber & Computer Crime Committees
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP); Women Leading Privacy
- American Bar Association; Women In Dispute Resolution
- Arbitral Women
- FDCC - Past President and Emeritus Member; As President, co-founded inaugural “National Summit on the Right to Trial by Jury”, Las Vegas, 2005 (now ABOTA’s 7th Amendment Summit)
- Beverly Hills Bar Association
- The CLM
- Loss Executives Association
- Association of Attorney-Mediators (Board of Directors)
- Southern California Mediation Association
Please contact Ms. Lawler for her rate chart.