Academy Member Inducted 2021Map & Directions
- Practice Commenced: 2008
- Total Mediations (as of Dec 2022): 400
John Alton is one of two Ohio lawyers to have served as Chair of the State (Ohio) Committee of the American College of Trial Lawyers and President of the Ohio Chapter of the American Board of Trial Advocates.
Every year since 1993 John has received Martindale-Hubbell's highest rating of AV Preeminent in legal ability and ethical standards.
John was first retained as a mediator in 2008 in a medical negligence case after representing defendants and plaintiffs nearly 50/50 for 30 years. Though 2019 John continued to serve as a mediator on a part time basis and transitioned to full time mediator in 2020. John has mediated hundreds of cases throughout Ohio and in other states.
Lawyers and party decision makers from more than 20 states have approved or retained John as a mediator or arbitrator. Types of cases John has mediated include:
medical device product liability
political subdivision liability
nursing home neglect
insurance agent errors and omissions
serious personal injury
John Alton's 40+ years of experience including 65+ trials to verdict and more than 1,500 settlements (without a mediator) provide John with a uniquely balanced perspective.
If a case does not resolve on the day of a mediation, John will assist on any matter for as long as it takes to effectuate resolution.
Since 2015 John has spoken on the topic of mediations to several trial lawyer professional organizations.
- Business Dissolution
- Civil Rights
- Consumer Fraud
- Contract Disputes
- Elder Abuse
- Eminent Domain
- Health Care
- Legal Malpractice
- Lemon Law
- Libel & Slander
- Local Govt./Municipalities
- Medical Devices
- Medical Malpractice
- Nursing Homes
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Product Liability
- Professional Fees
- Professional Liability
- Professional Malpractice
- Professional Negligence
- Property Damage
- Railroad & Trucking
- Sexual Harassment
- Wrongful Death
Duke University, Cum Laude with Distinction in Psychology (B.A., 1974)
Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law (J.D., 1977)
Memberships & Affiliations
Ohio Super Lawyers (2021-2023 in Alternative Dispute Resolution and Top 50 Columbus Lawyers List)
- National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals (2020-present)
- Ohio Supreme Court Committee on Alternative Dispute Resolution (1996-1998)
- American College of Trial Lawyers (2000-present; State (Ohio) Committee, 2009-present; State Committee Vice-Chair, 2015-2017; State Committee Chair, 2017-2019)
- American Board of Trial Advocates (1996-present; Ohio Chapter President-Elect, 2021; Ohio Chapter President, 2022)
- National Board of Trial Advocacy (Certified in Civil Trial Advocacy, 1997-2010)
- International Association of Defense Counsel (1985-1994)
- Columbus Bar Association (1977-present; Professional Ethics Committee, 1997-1999)
- Ohio Super Lawyers (2004-2020, Plaintiff Medical Malpractice)
- Martindale Hubbell Bar Register of Preeminent Attorneys (1992-2020, Defense and Plaintiff Medical Malpractice)
- Best Lawyers (2008-present; 2020 Professional Malpractice Lawyer of the Year)
John Alton's hourly rate is $400 for all aspects of preparation, the mediation (or arbitration) itself and post mediation (or arbitration) involvement for review of additional written materials, phone conferences, email exchanges, correspondence and/or mediator proposals or written decisions post arbitration hearings.
John Alton reduces his hourly rate to $250 for all services rendered above for non-profit entities including agencies of federal, state and local governments for the above services is $250.
John Alton's hourly rate is $250 for travel to and from mediation venues outside of Central Ohio.
John Alton does not charge for expenses such as parking, hotels, food, mileage, etc. for Ohio-venued mediations. However, if John Alton advances the expense to reserve mediation meeting rooms at hotels or other venues, those costs will be included on mediation invoices.
If it is necessary for to travel by air to mediate outside Ohio if Ohio, costs incurred for air travel and associated will be included on mediation invoices.