Academy MemberMap & Directions
Regularly travels out of state to: California, Illinois, Pennsylvania, WashingtonOther ADR Services: ADR Training/CME, Facilitation & Systems Design, Fact Finding, Med-Arb, Special Master
John Bickerman is an internationally recognized neutral, specializing in complex, multi-party insurance coverage and general commercial disputes. In the last twenty years, he logged over 25,000 hours and resolved more than three billion dollars in claims in more than thirty-five states. He has been retained by dozens of Fortune 500 companies and all of the major American insurers. He also has special expertise in the Bermuda insurance market. He has facilitated the resolution of major natural resource and environmental disputes between the Federal government, tribes and states, including four major water allocation or water diversion conflicts throughout the country.
John presently teaches negotiation and mediation courses at Cornell University, and has been an Adjunct Professor at Georgetown University Law Center. Mr. Bickerman has repeatedly been selected by his peers as one of the Best Lawyers in America, regarded as a definitive guide to legal excellence in the United States and has also been included in the Superlawyers listing for Washington, DC since the inception of this listing. He is a past Chair of the American Bar Association’s, Section on Dispute Resolution. He has BS and MS degrees in economics from Cornell University and is a magna cum laude graduate of Georgetown University Law Center. He clerked for Judge William B. Bryant on the United States District Court for the District of Columbia.
- Arts (Fine/Performing)
- Business Dissolution
- Class Actions
- Consumer Fraud
- Contract Disputes
- Cross Cultural
- Intellectual Property
- Land Use/Planning
- Local Govt./Municipalities
- Native American
- Product Liability
- Property Damage
- Public Policy
- GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY LAW CENTER J.D. (magna cum laude, 1988 Order of the Coif; National and International Champion, Jessup International Moot Court Competitions
- CORNELL UNIVERSITY B.S., Industrial and Labor Relations, 1978; M.S., Labor Economics and Collective Bargaining, 1979; Sun Elective Studies Award; Teaching and Research Assistant in Collective Bargaining.
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Bar Association, ADR Section (Past Chair)
- American Arbitration Association (Master Mediation Panel, Commercial and Construction Arbitration Panels)
- American College of Civil Trial Mediators - Past Member
- CPR Institute for Dispute Resolution (Member of Executive Advisory Committee, Memeber, National Panel of Distinguished Neutrals)
- International Academy of Mediators - Fellow
- Member, Mediation Panel of the United States District Court for the District of Columbia
- United States Institute for Environmental Conflict Resolution
$750 / hr; discounted rate for government, Indian Tribes and for special circumstances.