Academy Member Inducted 2011Map & Directions
Regularly travels out of state to: Nevada, UtahOther ADR Services: ADR Training/CME, Discovery Referee, Early Neutral Evaluation, Fact Finding, Med-Arb, Special Master
- Practice Commenced: 1992
- Total Mediations (as of Jan 2023): 1000
- Total Arbitrations (as of Jan 2023): 70
Richard A. Friedlander is "Of Counsel" at Lang & Klain, P.C in Scottsdale, Arizona, where his mediation and arbitration practice includes construction, real estate, complex commercial litigation, and title and escrow disputes.
Rick is an experienced mediator and arbitrator handling matters in Arizona and throughout the Southwest. He is a two-time Best Lawyers® Arbitration "Lawyer of the Year," earning that recognition for 2021 (Scottsdale) and 2019 (Phoenix). He has also earned Lawyer of the Year recognition in Construction Law (2011) and Construction Litigation (2015, 2017, 2020). He has been a Best Lawyers and Super Lawyers honoree since 2007.
He frequently is selected as an arbitrator (including acting as a panel chair in large multi-party disputes) for construction and commercial disputes. Mr. Friedlander's construction practice generally involves large, complex, multi-party construction matters and the representation of owners (including public owners), design professionals, general contractors and subcontractors, and consultants in both court and ADR proceedings. His construction experience includes a broad spectrum of commercial projects, including disputes involving highways, sewer/wastewater facilities, schools and universities, hospitals, shopping centers, hotels, office buildings (public and private), jails, commercial/manufacturing buildings and airport projects.
- Business Dissolution
- Community Associations
- Consumer Fraud
- Contract Disputes
- Debt Collections
- Divorce (High Asset)
- Family Businesses
- Legal Malpractice
- Mortgage Foreclosure
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Professional Fees
- Professional Liability
- Professional Malpractice
- Professional Negligence
- Property Damage
- Real Estate
- Shareholder Disputes
- Title Disputes
- Trusts / Estates
- Unfair Competition
- University of California at Berkeley (B.A.-1966)
- Northwestern School of Law (J.D.-1969)
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America (Construction, ADR)
- Member of the American Arbitration Association's panels for Construction, Mediation, Commercial, Joint Venture, including Master Mediator Panel-Construction Division.
- Selected by and profiled in AZBusiness Leaders 2016, 2017 and 2018 for Alternate Dispute Resolution.
- Selected by and profiled in AZBusiness Leaders 2019 for Construction Law.
- Selected by and profiled in AZBusiness Magazine 2020 as one of the "Top 100 Lawyers in Arizona."
- Named "Lawyer of the Year in Construction Litigation" for 2015, 2017, and 2020 in Phoenix, AZ by Best Lawyers in America.
- Named "Lawyer of Year in Arbitration (Scottsdale)" in 2021 by Best Lawyers in America.
- Named "Lawyer of the Year in Arbitration" for 2013 in Phoenix, AZ by Best Lawyers in America.
- Named "Construction Lawyer of the Year" for 2011 in Phoenix, AZ by Best Lawyers in America
- Listed in Super Lawyers (ADR)
- Bar admission: Illinois (1969), Arizona (1973)
- Court admissions: U.S. District Court: Northern District of Illinois (1969), U.S. District Court, District of Arizona (1973), U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit (1992), U.S. Supreme Court (1977)
Memberships & Affiliations
- Served as Judge Pro Tempore for both the Maricopa County Superior Court and Arizona Court of Appeals.
- Chairman of the State Bar of Arizona Disciplinary Committee for over eight years.
Fees (including study time) range from $540/Hr for two-party mediations to possibly higher hourly rates for complex, multi-party mediations, and $540/Hr for arbitrations. Additional charges for travel time and costs and other reasonable expenses for handling matters outside the Phoenix metropolitan area. Arbitration Cancellation Policy: If an arbitration is cancelled within 30 days before the hearing, the cancellation fee is 50% of the per diem rate. Per diem rate is based upon an 8 hour day. In the event of a cancellation, and no replacement matter is found for the cancelled time slot, the cancellation fee may be charged. However, if another matter can be scheduled within that time slot, there will be no cancellation fee.