Academy MemberMap & Directions
- Practice Commenced: 2000
With over 40 years of experience handling scores of jury trials through verdict, Robert Lyons has gained wide recognition as a prominent trial attorney focusing on medical and professional negligence, personal injury, insurance disputes, and property damage claims. Mr. Lyons has also litigated or tried to verdict a broad and varied range of civil law disputes, including premises liability claims, insurance coverage disputes, casualty losses, police misconduct and civil rights claims, fraud and embezzlement claims, arson and property destruction claims, and commercial and business disputes.
Mr. Lyons now devotes his practice to mediations and arbitrations. He is certified by the Florida Supreme Court as a Circuit-Civil Mediator for mediation in all Florida Circuit Courts as well as the United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida. Mr. Lyons is also qualified to serve as a court ordered, non-binding arbitrator, voluntary binding arbitrator, and trial resolution judge.
Mr. Lyons has received peer recognition for excellence in both trial work and alternative dispute resolution. These notable ratings and Mr. Lyons' success as a mediator and arbitrator is derived from his vast and varied litigation experience.
Mr. Lyons brings this wealth of knowledge, experience, and courtroom achievements as well as a keen understanding of the parties’ respective positions to successfully mediate and arbitrate civil practice claims. The tenacity Mr. Lyons brought to the courtroom over the last four decades in the successful litigation of complex civil matters now translates into positive energy, persevering dedication, creative solution and problem solving, and unrelenting commitment in alternative dispute resolution proceedings.
Along with Mr. Lyons’ immeasurable experience in the successful litigation of complex multi-issue and multi-party personal injury and medical malpractice cases and legally intricate insurance disputes, he has vast and distinctive experience handling condominium and homeowner association matters and controversies. Mr. Lyons’ highly accomplished and expansive trial experience, keen ability to analyze the law and skillfully handle complicated cases, presents an excellent foundation for his service as a mediator and arbitrator of civil practice disputes.
His notable achievements and affiliations reflect a career long commitment to civil trial practice as well as highly refined leadership skills, making Mr. Lyons an extremely knowledgeable, qualified, and desirable mediator and arbitrator of civil disputes.
- Community Associations
- Contract Disputes
- Legal Malpractice
- Medical Malpractice
- Nursing Homes
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Professional Liability
- Professional Malpractice
- Professional Negligence
- Property Damage
- Real Estate
- Wrongful Death
- Detroit College of Law at Michigan State University (J.D., 1976)
- St. Louis University (B.A., 1973)
Memberships & Affiliations
- President of Icard Merrill (1999 to 2021)
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell®
- The Best Lawyers in America® (2010 to present)
- Florida Super Lawyers (2010 to present)
- Florida Supreme Court Certified Circuit Civil Mediator
- Qualified to serve as Court-Ordered, Non-Binding Arbitrator and Voluntary Binding Arbitrator and Trial Resolution Judge
- The Florida Bar: Member; Alternative Dispute Resolution Section; Trial Lawyers Section
- Sarasota County Bar Association: Member
- State Bar of Michigan: Member
- Macomb County Bar Association: Member
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA): Member; National Representative
- Sarasota Chapter of ABOTA: Member; Past President
Mr. Lyons’ rates for mediation and arbitration proceedings are calculated as follows:
- 2 parties - $225.00 per hour, per party
- 3 parties - $200.00 per hour, per party
- 4 or more parties - $175.00 per hour, per party
- Minimum Fee ½ day - 4 hours
- Minimum Fee full day - 7 hours
Mr. Lyons’ hourly fee for arbitration and trial resolution proceedings is $500.00. There is no charge for mileage or travel time for matters convened in Charlotte, Sarasota, Manatee, Hillsborough, Pinellas, Polk, DeSoto, Hardee, and Lee Counties. Mileage and travel time at one-half the applicable hourly rate will otherwise apply.