- Practice Commenced: 1990
- Total Mediations (as of Jan 2022): 600
- Total Arbitrations (as of Jan 2022): 20
A veteran trial lawyer, Tom is at his best in front of a jury, as his years of trial experience and matterâ€ofâ€fact style give him significant jury appeal. For more than 40 years, Tom has litigated civil cases, including those involving product liability, wrongful death, construction, trucking and premises liability. In an age when most cases settle through mediation, Tom still finds himself in front of a jury on a regular basis.
One of Tom’s many strengths is his thorough investigation of his client’s matter, followed by a thoughtful, strategic preparation of their case and a straightâ€forward appraisal of their legal situation and possible options.
Tom has mediated over 600 cases and has been a Certified Mediator in Indiana since 1997.
He served as managing partner at Lewis Wagner 2002â€2007 and was named a Diplomat to the National Institute of Trial Advocacy in 1989. In 1994 he was elected to the American Board of Trial Advocates and served as President of the Indiana Chapter in 2006. He received the Indiana State Bar Association, Litigation Section's Civility Award in 2005. He is a member of DRI and the International Association of Defense Counsel. He has been selected as an Indiana Super Lawyer, 2005â€2019 (Top 50 2012-2019). He was selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2010â€present in the fields of Arbitration; Mediation; and Personal Injury Litigation â€ Defendants. He served on the Board of Directors of the Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana 2004-2016 and was President in 2015. Tom is also a member of the Association of Attorney Mediators.
- Business Dissolution
- Contract Disputes
- Libel & Slander
- Nursing Homes
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Professional Liability
- Property Damage
- Real Estate
- Sexual Harassment
- Title Disputes
- Wrongful Death
- Woodrow Wilson College of Law, Atlanta, Georgia, J.D., 1977
- Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, B.A., dean's list, 1973
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Bar Association, 1977 â€ present
- American Board of Trial Advocates, 1994 â€ present (President, Indiana Chapter, 2006)
- Defense Research Institute (State Liaison; Trial Tactics Committee)
- Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana, 1982 â€ present (Presidentâ€Elect, 2014; Board of Directors, 2004 â€ present; Diplomat, 2009)
- Georgia State Bar Association, 1977 â€ present
- Indiana State Bar Association, 1979 â€ present
- Indianapolis Bar Association, 1979 â€ present (Litigation Section; Indianapolis Bar Foundation; Fellow, 2007)
- International Association of Defense Counsel, 2002 â€ present
- Johnson County Bar Association, 1986 – present
- National Institute for Trial Advocacy (Diplomat, 1989)